Thursday, October 4, 2012

From Sidewalk Shab to Fall Fab: Using Window Panes as Decor


Lately, window panes are popping up everywhere as whimsy decoration!  There are so many cute ideas on Pinterest and other blogs, like these window pane eye candies:


Book display window pane via The Farmer & The Southern Belle







Pinned Image
Window Pane Photo Frame (source not listed)
One day, my husband and I were driving around, and I spotted a collection of window panes on the sidewalk outside of a local consignment shop.  I convinced him to turn around so that I could browse their selection.  He looked at me like I was crazy, but I persuaded him.  I spotted this window and decided it was in pretty decent shape, just needed a lil' TLC and some elbow grease (and Clorox clean-up.... and Windex...and maybe a scrubber pad or three), but I just knew it had potential.  So I picked it up for the bargain price of 10 bucks.
Now I just had to figure out what to do with it.  I saw these photos online of some cute window pane decor at The Simple Things and June & Bear, where I got inspired, finally deciding to use my pane as a backdrop for some more fall decor!
Inspirational Halloween Mantle via The Simple Things
Neutral Fall Mantel via June & Bear
I cleaned up my the window, and touched up a few rough patches with some acrylic paint.  I decided that I did like the more "rustic look" and grabbed some sand paper to lightly roughen up the areas that looked a bit too perfect.  When I was happy with the look, I got my handy hubby to attach a picture hanger to the back of the frame.  I then hung it on the wall in place of my usual large clock above a console table.  She was lookin' pretty good, but she needed some accessories!  Off to the craft store I went.  I decided on a rustic fall wreath of twigs and berries (that was on sale for $3 bucks!!!)  I then took some extra burlap from my DIY burlap banner and used it to attach the wreath to the window pane.  And there you have it, a super inexpensive way to create a fall vignette.


I shopped my house to add some extra decor to the table beneath my fabulous window pane:  Some wooden candlesticks that I found on clearance at Hobby Lobby a while ago, a thrift store milk glass vase filled with dollar store moss and a small sparkly pumpkin on top, a "rustic" looking picture of hubby and myself from our engagement pictures a few years ago, and a monogrammed craft pumpkin that I created for cheap using a vinyl letter purchased at a craft store.


I must say I am pretty pleased with my tablescape.  It adds the perfect amount of fall warmth to this small section of our home.  And considering it all came from a piece of sidewalk trash treasure.  Have you created anything with window panes lately?  You should try it! The possibilities are endless.
~Enjoy your day~
- Gina

Linking up with:
My Repurposed Life


2 comments:

  1. It looks really darling!! Found you on Tatertots and Jello link party! So glad I stopped by ;)

    -Fotini { http://glamorousbride.blogspot.com }

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good "old" window! Your fall decor looks great!

    gail

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...