After making a rough template for my pennant shape from a piece of copy paper, I cut out my 4 pieces of burlap pennants. Next, I used Word to find a typeface that I liked and printed off the letters for FALL in a large print. (I used plain old Times New Roman font). Once I was pleased with the size of the letters in ratio to the pennants, I placed the letter underneath my burlap pennant.
Because the weave of burlap is so loose, I was able to see through the fabric and could “trace” my letter using an old ink pen and my brown acrylic paint.
Once I had the shape outlined, I painted in the remainder of my letter using a small paint brush. Eventually, the pennants looked like this:
Once all four letters were painted, I allowed them to dry for about 30 minutes. The acrylic paint dries pretty quickly. Next, I grabbed my hot glue gun to assemble my banner. I spread my ribbon out on a flat surface (my kitchen counter) and played around with the spacing of the pennants.
When I was happy with the spacing, I flipped them over (right side down) on the counter. I put a bead of hot glue across the top of each pennant, and then glued the back of the ribbon (velvet side up) to the pennants. Next, I placed another bead of glue directly beneath the ribbon, then folded the top of each pennant down, creating a semi-hem for the banner. Once the pennants were secured to the ribbon, I flipped it over and TA-DA... I had a decent looking fall burlap banner!
To finish it off, I simply glued the burlap rosettes to the ends of the banner.
Finally, it was time to enjoy my work.
|I just love my banner!!|
|Mantel is still in progress :)|
I must say I think my DIY banner looks pretty great as a part of my fall mantle. And considering that it only cost me $7.64 for the supplies, I saved a good bit of money by doing this project myself. Score! This project definitely goes in the “winning” file!
Thanks for stopping by!